The Practical Test (Module 1)
- Based at DSA regional test centres
- Large off road tarmac area
These specified manoeuvres are:
- wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand
- riding a slalom and figure of 8
- a slow ride
- a U-turn
- cornering and controlled stop
- cornering and the emergency stop
- cornering and hazard avoidance
There is a minimum speed for the hazard avoidance and emergency stop exercises:
- for mopeds this is around 19mph
- for motorcycles this is around 31mph
On the day of the Module 1 test, candidates will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate their riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. Please note that the standard off-road layout may change due to local conditions on the casual sites.
Those candidates who have demonstrated riding skills of a dangerously incompetent level during Module 1 will not be permitted to take Module 2.
Those candidates who have passed Module 1 will receive a Test Pass Certificate which they must bring with them when they take Module 2.
What happens if I fail Module 1?
You will need to leave a gap of three clear working days in order for you to take more training so you can pass on the next attempt.
You can’t progress to module 2 until you have passed module 1.