6 Lumen Road, North Wembley, HA9 7RE


A1 Restricted Licence London

The Category A1 Restricted Licence is aimed mainly at those who want a full motorcycle licence, but do not intend riding a motorbike/scooter over 125cc. It is also the only licence that can be gained by those aged seventeen to nineteen inclusive.

You must complete CBT, a Motorcycle Theory Test before taking this test.

The training and test throughout the course is very similar to the Direct access scheme. Students will complete the course and take their practical test on a motorcycle/scooter with an engine size of 125cc. A pass will entitle the license holder to ride motorcycles/scooters up to 125cc under a full license.

Accelerated Access

You can upgrade your A1 Restricted licence to the A2 Motorcycle licence once you have reached 19 years of age or held your A1 entitlement for a minimum of 2 years (whichever comes first) via the progressive access route. You will revert to learner status while practicing (on an A2 bike) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

If you are 16 and want to ride

Information for moped riders. If you are 16 and want to ride a moped or scooter on the road you must have completed a compulsory basic training course to validate your provisional licence.

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

Maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)An engine capacity no greater than 50 ccIt can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977.

Moped provisional licences:

You can only hold a provisional moped licence if you are at least 16 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped on the road as a learner with L-plates (D-plates in Wales) but you must not carry a pillion passenger or go on a motorway.

Your provisional licence is only valid when you have the DL 196 certificate issued on completion of compulsory basic training (CBT) by an approved training body (ATB).

A CBT certificate obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycles once the rider has reached the age of 17 years and has the necessary licence.

If you want to ride a moped on the road without displaying L-plates you must take and pass a theory and practical driving test.

For Car Drivers

If you have a car licence…

If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a 50cc moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales).

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.

Minimum test vehicle requirements

Any vehicle presented for use in a driving test must meet minimum test vehicle standards. These standards are part of European Community legislation on driver licensing. Great Britain as a member of the European Union is obliged to comply with these requirements. Below are the minimum test vehicle requirements for mopeds and motorcycles

Minimum test vehicle requirements for mopeds

A moped must have an engine capacity not exceeding 50 cc, and a maximum speed of 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) which is approximately equivalent to 31 miles per hour (mph). If first used before 1 August 1977, it must be equipped with pedals by which it can be propelled.

Minimum test vehicle requirements for motorcycles

If your motorcycle is less than 75 cc it is not acceptable for the practical motorcycle test. If you pass your practical test on a motorcycle with automatic or semi-automatic transmission, this will be recorded on your licence. Your full licence entitlement will be restricted to motorcycles in this category.

A light motorcycle (category A1) is defined as a solo motorcycle (automatic or manual) between 120-125cc with a power output of no more than 11kw (14.6bhp), and capable of producing a speed of at least 90km/h (55 mph).

A standard motorcycle (category A2) is defined as a solo motorcycle with a capacity of at least 395cc with a power output between 33bhp and 46.6bhp with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg.

The large motorcycle (category A): Vehicles used for the direct access scheme can have an unspecified engine capacity of at least 40 kW (54 bhp), with an unspecified speed.

The minimum test vehicle requirements for a motorcycle and side-car are the same as the solo machines, but categories A2 and A1 must not exceed a power to weight ratio of 0.16 kW/kg. Passengers are not allowed to ride in the sidecar during the test. Only candidates with certain disabilities can use a motorcycle and side-car combination for the test. The licence obtained as a result of this test will be restricted to this combination of vehicle.

Speedometers on imported vehicles

Regulation 35 of Construction and Use Regulations 1986 requires any motor vehicle used on or after 1 April 1984 to be capable of indicating speed in both mph and k/mh. Therefore vehicles used for test must display speed in either mph and k/mh or mph only. Vehicles displaying speed in k/mh only are not acceptable. Overlays on speedometers are not allowed.


1- A light motorcycle licence (category A1) will give you full licence entitlement to ride machines up to 125 cc with a power output of up to 11 kW.

2- A standard motorcycle licence (category A2) must be a solo motorcycle with a capacity of at least 395cc with a power output between 33bhp and 46.6bhp with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg. Minimum age of candidate is 19 years old.

3- If you are aged 24 or over you can take the test on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 40 kW (54 bhp). If successful you can then ride any motorcycle.

Motorcycle Training & CBT Training Courses in London

Alpha Motorcycle Training

  • DSA Approved
  • Well maintained fleet of bikes
  • Helmets, gloves and Jackets provided
  • Fully qualified & experienced staff
  • Male & Female Instructors
  • Expert training systems
  • Warm and comfortable classrooms
  • Good Location Close to Central London

Online Enquire

    Email *